Notice: Due to social distancing protocols, marriage licenses are currently prepared online by virtual appointment. Applicants must have a computer, smartphone or tablet with a camera and microphone and access to the internet. In addition, applicants need the ability to access their email account during the virtual appointment. Appointments are hosted by WebEx. After the appointment, the marriage license is mailed to the applicants through the U.S. Post Office.
||Complete and submit the Online Marriage License Pre-Application. Upon submission, you will receive a confirmation document via e-mail.
||Send an email to MarriageLicenseApptRequest@fairfaxcounty.gov to request an appointment to obtain your license. If you do not send an email, you will not receive a license. Appointments are held between 8:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- In the email please provide:
- Your full name, telephone number and email address.
- At least 3 preferred appointment dates and times. We will do our best to accommodate your schedule.
||You will receive a response via email stating the date and time of your Webex appointment, along with instructions on how to connect to our office online using Webex. Please allow 1-2 business days to receive the response. Note that you must have access to the internet and a computer, smartphone or tablet with a camera and microphone to conduct the appointment over Webex. In addition, you will need access to your email account during the virtual appointment.
||You will receive a separate email from Webex, which will give you the link you need to “join” the appointment. Before the appointment, download the Webex Meetings application to your computer, tablet or smartphone.
||A clerk will begin the appointment at the scheduled time, via Webex. You and your prospective spouse must both attend the Webex appointment. You will need the following during the virtual appointment:
- Your confirmation number (available on the confirmation document you receive when you submit your online application).
- A credit card. The cost is $30 and only MasterCard or Visa are accepted. Every credit card transaction has a 4% processing fee.
- Valid photo identification (i.e. a driver’s license, passport or military identification card)
||After the virtual appointment with the clerk, the clerk mails the marriage license to you through the U.S. Postal Service.